Event Time and Date
Join fellow students, faculty, librarians, and scientists from Georgetown and the DC area to save valuable Data with DataRescueDC!
DataRescueDC is a movement made up of motivated scholars and information professionals around the DC area who are committed to protecting, and making accessible, at-risk federal government data. Their mission is to support climate and environmental research and advocacy and to show solidarity among the scholarly community for a culture that prizes fact-based arguments.
Over the course of two days, Saturday, February 18 and Sunday, February 19, this community will gather here at Georgetown to seed, sort, harvest, and store this intellectual capital in Data Refuge, a project facilitated by the University of Pennsylvania’s Program in Environmental Humanities.
Sign Up for DataRescueDC
We invite members of the Georgetown Community to participate in one of two ways:
- Sign up to participate in the Teach-In and/or Lead a Team of Participants that matches your skillset.
- Sign up to learn from subject area experts and participate in the creative coding and archive-a-thon.
- Saturday, February 18, 12:00-6:00pm: Sessions include a teach-in featuring Georgetown professors, a Guide training for Sunday’s team leaders, and a round table on open data literacy. Saturday's events will take place in the Murray Conference Room, Georgetown University Library, 5th Floor.
- Sunday, February 19, 10:00am-5:00pm: Sessions include a creative coding and archive-a-thon. Sunday's events will take place in Reiss 103, Reiss Science Building, Georgetown University.
Do I need to have specific technical expertise?
No, regardless of your technical skills you can play a vital role in this project! Experts will be on hand both days to guide you through the tasks at hand.
Do I need to come for the entire program?
If you plan to teach-in or be a team leader you will need to commit to the entire weekend. However, if you are coming to help during the coding and archive-a-thon the schedule is flexible and you can come for any portion that works for you!
Do I need to bring any special equipment?
Just bring yourself, your laptop, and a charger. You will also want to be sure to bring water and snacks to keep up your energy throughout the day!
Who else is involved in this program?
This program is being co-sponsored by Georgetown University Library and Johns Hopkins University Sheridan Libraries.
In addition to our generous sponsors, DataRescueDC, Data Refuge, and Georgetown University Library have a variety of amazing partners facilitating this project including:
- Sunlight Foundation
- University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- Penn Program in Environmental Humanities
- Environmental Data Governance Initiative (EDGI)
- Climate Mirror
- University of Michigan Libraries
- Internet Archive
- Temple University Libraries
- Union of Concerned Scientists
Georgetown University Library and Reiss Science Building